Anti Aging Foods To Include
In Your Diet Regularly
Anti Aging Foods - want to look younger? You might be surprised to know that although external products and procedures like moisturizers, exfoliators, Botox, and even plastic surgery can help but the real process of looking younger begins from within with your diet.
Most of us are probably aware that any colorful vegetable or fruit, beans, nuts, seeds are the foods we should be eating. I would like to list what I think are the stars of anti aging foods. Not only do these foods fight the aging process but they are rich in the fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants we all need.
Anti Aging Foods - Vegetables and Fruits
- Avocado – you may think it’s a vegetable, but actually it is a fruit. It contains a significant amount of monounsaturated fat, which can lower bad cholesterol; it is also a great source of Vitamin E and is full of potassium, which can lower blood pressure.
- Berries – not only are berries packed with nutrition, but they are delicious and can easily satisfy your sweet tooth. All berries, including blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc. are rich in Vitamin C and have plenty of fiber. They contain phytochemicals called flavonoids.
These powerful antioxidants are great protection against aging because they prevent free radical damage. Fresh or frozen are good but not fruit in any kind of syrup of sugar water that have been processed.
- Cruciferous Vegetables – are vegetables like brussel sprouts, watercress, radishes, turnips, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.
- Dark leafy greens – are kale, spinach, chard and are a great source of Vitamin A and K. Leafy greens are extremely versatile and are a great antioxidant food.
- Garlic, onions, leeks and chives – garlic is called "Russian penicillin." This pungent, sulfur-containing clove contains ingredients called allicin and diallyl sulphides, which give it its powerful antioxidant and antibacterial, antifungal properties.
It's been used for centuries as a means to cure a variety of ailments. Its antibiotic properties have been shown to be "broad-spectrum" and don't allow you to build up the kind of resistance to them that artificially developed antibiotics have shown to do.
Garlic also stimulates the immune system, lowers cholesterol, and strengthens the cardiovascular system. So, to stay looking and feeling your best, try to ingest a clove of garlic a day. Do check with your doctor before you do so since garlic can interfere with other medications you may be taking.
For best results, garlic should only be consumed raw or very, very lightly cooked, since cooking destroys some of its beneficial properties. Onions, leeks and chives are also from the same family as garlic, and share many of its beneficial properties.
- Peppers – which includes green, red, or hot chili. The chili pepper in particular contains very high levels of capsaicinoids resulting in extraordinary anti-inflammatory and anti cancer abilities.
More Anti Aging Foods - Proteins, Beans, Nuts and Seeds and Even Red Wine
- Beans, peas and lentils – although these innocuous little beans may not look like much, they are very powerful and healthy foods, and can greatly contribute to anti aging effects within the body.
High in protein, low in fat, and high in fiber beans are the perfect complement to any diet. Except for soybeans, all beans are very low in fat and have modest amounts of essential fatty acids.
- Salmon – highly rated as the fish with the most DHA plus EPA omega 3 fatty acids. Wild caught Alaskan salmon is the best you can buy and contains the lowest mercury levels. Farm raised fish cannot compare to the real thing. When purchasing salmon, it is wise to ask where it came from.
- Walnuts – are a great mineral source. They contain magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper and selenium..
- Flaxseed – is so easy to use. It is a wonderful source of Omega 3 fatty acids. It can be sprinkled on cereals, casseroles and added to smoothies.
- Protein – let's not forget to get lean proteins into your diet; chicken, turkey, beef, seafood, beans, dairy and eggs. One fourth of each meal should come from a protein source.
- Red Wine – can be very good for you especially since it contains the anti aging properties of resveratrol which helps to fight age affiliated afflictions. Need I say in moderation!
- The last and best anti aging food, although it really isn't a food, but it is so important I am including it here as a reminder to drink your 8 glasses of water a day. Flushing the system with adaquate water keeps things moving resulting in a healthier you.
More On Anti Aging
More Beauty Secrets
Return to the top of the Anti Aging Foods page
Return to Aging Gracefully