Fashion Faux Pas
Mistakes to Avoid
What is a Fashion Faux Pas? - In a nutshell it is what the fashion world deems an unacceptable way of dressing. At one point in our lives, we've all been guilty of committing crimes of fashion. Commonly known as fashion faux pas, these fashion crimes are not only unsightly, but they can also be embarrassing.
While most people are accidental participants, there are some cases when we are unknowingly breaking some basic rules. Although we can get away with some of these faux pas, it is a good idea to avoid them as much as possible. Here are some fashion faux pas (in no particular order) that you should avoid at all costs.
- Generally capri pants should be reserved for the summer months. Although you might be able to get away with wearing them with tall boots, rarely do they send a message of style. The only time you could wear capri pants with boots is if your pants are skinny capri pants, and if you can tuck the bottom of them into your boots. See this as a money saving tip where you can salvage a pair of capris to be made to look like skinny jeans.
Avoid Being a Muffin Top
- Since we are on the topic of jeans, that brings us to the next fashion faux pas: jeans that are too tight. Although you don't want your jeans to be too baggy, it is important that your jeans fit comfortably so your air supply isn't cut off when you are sitting in a chair.
When you put on your jeans, they should feel comfortable, and abdominal fat should not be hanging over the waistline. Rely on shape wear if you have issues with your mid section. Shape wear will give you the illusion of a smoother figure with fewer lumps and bumps.
- Jeans are not the only things that can be too tight. If your underwear is too tight, you will have noticeable panty lines that are unflattering. There are brands on the market without heavy elastic you will want to look for.
- Proper fit of clothing such as blouses that button should not pull across the bust allowing gaps to appear. Make sure that all your clothes fit properly. Regardless how expensive the garment might be, if it is too tight you lose.
- Bling is good but too much just gets tacky.
- Sloppy is out. Looking pulled together is in.
- The pajama look should be reserved for at home. I know it seems cool to some to grab a cup of coffee at the local coffee shop in your "pajama look" and all I can add to that is let’s hope this fad is over with soon.
- Although we all love a rainbow, it isn't a good idea to dress like one. Bright colors do add pizzazz, but wearing all of the colors in the color spectrum at once is a fashion faux pas.
- Exposing a midsection should be reserved for the pool or beach. With waistlines being lowered and tops being shorter it is not ok to see any part of a bare midriff. Fun camisoles are very useful.
- If you wear a see through top of any kind you do not want to wear white underwear. It is best to choose a color that is more skin color.
Accessories Faux Pas
- Pantyhose with sandals or peep-toes shoes is a definite no no.
- Assemble an outfit by pairing one or two bright colors with black, white, denim, or some other neutral color. If you look in the mirror at your outfit and it looks like the inside of a crayon box, then you are probably wearing way too many colors. Another option would be to spruce up your outfits with brightly colored accessories.
- Here is my favorite. You know the tags that come on all scarves? They should be removed. You wouldn't walk around with any other tags hanging out so it follows for scarves.
More on Fashion
Beauty Secrets Favorites
Return to the top of the Fashion Faux Pas page
Return to the Fashion Advice page