Varicose Veins Treatments...
Home Remedies vs. More Invasive Options
Varicose Veins Treatments - although both men and women can be affected by varicose veins, they are much more common in women. When the walls of veins become weakened because the valves that pump the blood stop working properly, the blood collects in the veins. The result is a widening and spreading of the veins, also known as varicose veins.
While they are not always painful, sometimes these veins can cause extreme pain as well as other health issues. Even if they do not cause immediate pain, for many they cause emotional pain because they can be unsightly and embarrassing. For this reason, many women find themselves seeking treatments that will help them to finally be rid of the issue once and for all.
Home Remedies for Varicose Veins Treatments
When attempting to find the best treatments, many people take matters into their own hands and administer self varicose veins treatments to help keep the issue under control.
- Taking frequent breaks to walk around is one of the easiest varicose veins treatments. This will keep your circulation at a healthy level so the blood can properly flow.
- Wearing compression stockings can aid in treating varicose veins as well as helping to prevent the development of additional varicose veins. By compressing the veins, the stockings encourage the blood to continue circulating, and they discourage the pooling of blood. The compression stocking are also one of the more popular varicose veins treatments because when the pressure is applied to the veins, some of the pain that can accompany this condition is eased.
- Try to keep your feet elevated when you are sitting down, so the blood will have an easier time of flowing back to the heart and not sit in one area for too long.
- Because alcohol causes the blood to pump through the veins at an elevated rate, drinking can worsen the appearance of varicose veins. The quicker the blood goes through the veins, the weaker the vein walls become. For this reason, many people avoid the consumption of alcoholic beverages in their quest to find varicose veins treatments.
- Don't wear tight clothing or cross your legs when you sit down because this will only block the circulation and encourage the blood to gather in the veins, causing the veins to become even larger.
More Invasive Treatments
In severe cases, more invasive medical treatments are administered to treat the condition.
- For the treatment of smaller varicose veins, experts recommend Sclerotherapy treatment. With this treatment, a chemical irritant is injected into the veins with an extremely small needle. The end result is that the veins actually harden and are no longer used to circulate the blood. Once the vein is minimized, the blood is circulated using veins deeper within the body.
Larger varicose veins are not typically treated with Sclerotherapy because it is not safe to inject the body with such a large amount of the chemical. Although some discomfort may be felt right after each injection, the pain does not last long. The patients are required to wear compression stockings for about two weeks following the injections to aid in the healing process.
- With the Ambulatory Phlebectomy treatment, the varicose veins are actually removed from the body without surgery. In fact, most patients who have this procedure can drive themselves home once it is completed. The patient is given a local anesthetic, and the doctor who performs the procedure marks the areas where the veins are enlarged and does a series of pinpricks along the vein line. Once that is completed, the doctor pulls the veins out through tiny pinprick holes, and since it isn't actually a surgery, there is no need for stitches.
- Laser treatments are used to treat very small varicose veins or to remove residual veins after larger ones have already been removed. This type of treatment is sometimes used as a secondary method to fully rid the patient of the pesky problem. With this type of treatment, the laser actually burns the veins, causing scar tissue to form. Because of the scar tissue, the veins close, causing them to become much smaller.
There are many other varicose veins treatments that are offered by specialists. It is a good idea to talk to your doctor and decide which of the varicose veins treatments would work best for you.
More Beauty Secrets
Return to the top of the Varicose Veins Treatments page
Return to Aging Gracefully